Here is my poll for week 7 after a crazy week of college football.
Week 7 Poll
1. Alabama – BYE. Next week at Missouri.
2. Oregon – No surprise that the Ducks blew away Washington. Still on pace to be 8-0 when they travel to Pasadena.
3. South Carolina – South Carolina held Georgia to 3.2 YPC and 3.5 yards per pass attempt. The Gamecocks look like the real deal, but they can’t slow down with back to back roadtrips to LSU and Florida.
4. Kansas State – QB Collin Klein and RB John Hubert accounted for 20 carries, averaged more than 10 yards a carry each and accounted for 6 rushing TDs in a win over Kansas.
5. Florida – The Gator defense slowed LSU to 42 yards on 25 carries (1.7) while Gillisee ran for 146 on LSU.
6. West Virginia – Didn’t think Texas was ready for Andrew Buie to run for 207 yards. Geno had two costly fumbles but still threw for four TDs.
7. Notre Dame – Notre Dame ran for 376 yards on Miami and while they didn’t force a turnover, the Hurricanes only found the red zone once which led to a 1st Q field goal.
8. Ohio State – Ohio State scored 63 points, which was their most points in a Big Ten game since 1981. The Buckeyes also forced Nebraska into four turnovers and had two non-offensive TDs.
9. Oregon State – The computers love the Beavers who had their worst game on Saturday, three BCS computers rank Oregon State at #1. Mannion struggled but the Beaver defense forced 5 turnovers to slow Mike Leach’s team to six.
10. LSU – They were averaging more than 200 a game on the ground, before the Gator defense slowed them down on Saturday. Their next four opponents are all in the AP Top 25 right now.
11. Georgia – Outside of Florida, the Bulldogs still have a very easy schedule the rest of the year but I did not see them losing like that coming Saturday.
12. Louisville – BYE. Next week at Pittsburgh with a 11AM start – wouldn’t be surprised to see a slow start by the Cardinals.
13. Texas – Everyone on ESPN said that Texas would not allow a big game from West Virginia.. no way they got more than 4 or maybe 5 TDs. Well, West Virginia scored 48 and Texas couldn’t cover.
14. Oklahoma – Forced enough turnovers to slow down Texas Tech. Red River Rivalry next week.
15. Florida State – Remember that this was “the Year” for Florida State. They were back to their old ways. Well on Saturday night, they were – Florida State has lost five times (out of six) against NC State while they were ranked and NC State was unranked since 1998 in Raleigh.
16. Clemson – They struggled with stopping Georgia Tech and trailed in the fourth but pulled it out late. They’ll lose another game if they allow 7.4 YPC on 46 carries again.
17. Stanford - Josh Nunes quietly led Stanford back throwing two TDs and running for three more in an OT win over Arizona.
18. USC – Rallied from a first half hole to beat Utah. Still being ranked too high in the polls based on their preseason rank. We’ll see what they are really made of when they host Oregon in a few weeks.
19. Cincinnati – BYE. Play Fordham this week.
20. Mississippi State – Still no impressive wins. Doesn’t get any harder with Tennessee and Middle Tennessee in their next two.
21. Louisiana Tech – Now averaging 53.3 PPG. Had a 300-300 pass/rush game this past week. Underrated game of the week vs. Texas A&M this week. Really like their chances.
22. Rutgers – Only mustered one offensive TD, but defense forced 5 turnovers and returned one for a score to beat UConn.
23. Ohio – Their win AT Penn State looks better and better as long as the Nittany Lions keep winning. RB Beau Blankenship is third in the nation in rushing yards.
24. Texas A&M – Good offense, good defense from the Aggies. Three point loss to Florida looks stronger with the Gators beating LSU. Could be a very high scoring game vs LA Tech this week.
25. Iowa State – Called their win over TCU and forced 5 turnovers with Boykin making his first start or TCU. Tough matchup with K-State this week in Manhattan.
OUT: TCU, Washington, Nebraska, Northwestern
Boise State – Not impressive enough for me to give a top 25 ranking just yet. They are getting back into old Boise form it seems like though.
Nevada – Stefphon Jefferson had his worst week vs. Wyoming – just 114 yards on offense. Losing QB Cody Fajardo hurt the team during the game, but he should return next week.
Duke – Duke is a win away from being bowl eligible, and even more amazingly that’s after JUST six games. Are pigs going to fly next week as well?
NC State – They beat #3, but wouldn’t overly be surprised if they somehow found a way to lose to Maryland.
Week 6 Record: 5-3
Upset Watch Record: 1-2
Week 7 Games I’ll Pick
Iowa St. at Kansas St.
Stanford at Notre Dame
South Carolina at LSU
Oregon State at BYU